Sunday 25 February 2018

Gorillas galore!

The Mubare family of gorillas appeared to be doing well.  They were relaxed in our presence and we were able to be quite close to them.  Some of the gorillas were in the canopy feeding and others were already getting ready to rest.  Apparently, the gorillas typically feed for a few hours in the morning, have a nap, then awake to feed again.  They may move several times during the day but do not move after nightfall.  The group that we watched had several babies and mothers, a silver back and several smaller males. The lighting and closeness of the undergrowth made photography tricky and most of my pictures are of poor quality.  I did get one decent video clip of a gorilla moving down the path with her baby on her back.  She walked right by me, literally brushing up against my leg.  Amazing.  I tried to upload video to Youtube so I could add it here but the internet speed is too slow. I will need to add it later.  In the meantime here are some memories of the day.  The young couple from New York have promised to send me some of their pictures.  They were better photographers!

Mom and baby.

Eating small fruit.

Pondering our presence.

Turned his back to us!

Just hanging around.

Youth

Silver back

Snout was not white.  That was the sun reflecting.

Time for a rest!

1 comment:

  1. A once in a lifetime day. One gets so many of those of different sorts on a safari to Africa.

    ReplyDelete