Sunday 25 February 2018

Arriving at Bwindi

After my clinic visit it was a very short drive to the entrance of the park.  After passing through my driver drove a short distance and then parked on the side of the road.  "This is it", he said.  I looked around but could see no tented camp.  Another glance revealed a series of concrete steps leading up into the forest.  Oh, it is up there somewhere.  And now we walk.  A porter carried my suitcase but still the hike up had me huffing and puffing.  I took it to be the litmus test.  If you can't make it to your room then you have no business trying to see the gorillas.  As I started up the steps I was startled by the most beautiful turquoise butterfly.  It fluttered a few feet in front of me and literally lead me up the path.  So beautiful.  Later, the next day, after I had finished my first gorilla hike, and as I exited the rainforest jungle another similar butterfly fluttered in front of me on the breeze.  She was there, welcoming me to my dream adventure and watching it succeed.  Those of you who know me well will understand the significance of those events!

Park Entrance

I Penetrated the Impenetrable!
View from my table.  This is where I ate my meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment