Wednesday 28 February 2018

CanAssist African Relief Trust: Borehole wells

As much as I loved the opportunity to see the wild mountain gorillas in their natural habitat it has been more rewarding to have the opportunity to work with the people of Uganda.  My involvement with CanAssist as a trustee and project manager affords me the opportunity to visit rural areas that are off the beaten track.  These are the real people of Uganda.  This past week I have had the opportunity to tour 6 different projects and will visit one more tomorrow.

I am pleased to report that CanAssist is leaving a marked impression.  Our infrastructure work in the areas of sanitation, water, health and education are making a huge difference in the communities within which we have provided support.  Repeat trips (this is my third trip to Uganda) allows me to see that once a hand up is given the community can continue to progress and thrive in a multitude of ways.    To put all that I have witnessed into one blog entry would be to fill multiple pages so I will separate it out.  Todays blog will be about borehole wells

On Monday I travelled with my driver, Robert, and Shadrak from EACO, a local community leader who works to find support for needy local communities.  He applied to CanAssist African Relief Trust for funds to repair 3 borehole wells.  I will let his words explain the significance of access to clean and safe drinking water.



Thank you CanAssist African Relief Trust for supporting our communities in access to safe and clean water, these water wells in Mukono, are significantly improving the health and wellbeing of residents. The clean water initiative is directly impacting the following four areas:
Poverty:
• Shorten distance to nearest clean water source by up to 9 kilo meters
• Free ~15 additional hours per week for those who hold the burden of fetching water
Education: Foster higher education and increase literacy by giving more children the time to attend school and study
Health: Reduce cases of water-borne diseases including typhoid fever, bilharzia, malaria and diarrhea
Safety: Prevent incidents of abuse and torture including rape, kidnapping, child sacrifice and mutilation.

So, it is more than just water.  A well benefits a community in a multitude of ways.  As a trustee and project manager I am afforded the opportunity to help these communities to improve their lives.  A humbling experience!  Here are photos of the three wells that I visited.

Well at the Namanganga Community


Well in Namasumbi located adjacent to a school.
https://youtu.be/MO0k_wZNsac

Well in construction in Lugali.  

No comments:

Post a Comment