Sunday 27 May 2018

First Day at St. Catherine School

After leaving Adrian at Ramula, I walked to the trading centre and then down the big hill to St. Catherine School.  I have previously visited this school in 2016 and 2017.  My third visit did not disappoint.
The school is located at the bottom of a big hill.  As I walked down the hill I passed many Kenyans coming up the hill to go to the trading centre or to go about their day.  All along the way I observed beautiful flowers, birds and butterflies.
For a moment I was unsure that I was going the right way but then I heard it.  Thump, thump, thump.  The familiar sound of a basketball bouncing.  Following the sound I turned a corner and there it was.  I arrived at morning break and the children were on the grounds playing.  A group of children were wearing Impact uniforms and were having an unofficial practice.  They were the members of the junior team.  The team Captain greeted me and it wasn't long before everyone knew that I had arrived.
It was a wonderful site to see the court being well used.  In addition to the children practising there were a large group of the younger children watching.  I can bet that they are waiting for their chance to be on a team, just like the kids at home.
After a cup of tea with Donald Mark, my host teacher, we proceeded to the grade 3 class to teach.  The students were learning multiplication in math, and "basic needs of the district" in Social Studies. I had fun team teaching with Donald and before I knew it the day had come to an end.

Rocky road to St. Catherine

A butterfly!  She was there.

Arriving to the sounds of basketball.

Donald Mark, my teaching colleague.

Doing the math!

Basic needs


New latrine!

No comments:

Post a Comment